Lead Commercial Counsel (San Francisco)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 2, 2023
Patch is the infrastructure powering the carbon market of the future. Patch software brings together corporate buyers, project developers, financiers, and policymakers to increase transparency and modernize climate action. We provide companies like Credit Suisse, Aviva, and Route access to the broadest network of vetted carbon credits available through direct purchases, multi-year offtake agreements, or in any digital transaction via APIs. We also provide software that enables carbon removal project developers and financiers like Carbon Streaming, Anew, Eion, and Brilliant Planet to manage their operations and grow their sales, so they can scale their climate impact.
In this Lead Commercial Counsel, Carbon Markets role at Patch, you'll play a pivotal role in shaping our company's legal strategy and road map. You'll be able to develop innovative strategies, drive best practices and programs, and much more while working directly with leadership and individual contributors on things like carbon offtake and commercial contracts.
What You’ll Do:
- Own corporate and commercial legal matters, with a significant focus on developing, reviewing, and negotiating commercial and carbon offtake contracts.
- Work with the Head of Finance and co-founders to develop a roadmap for all things related to commercial laws and policy.
- Build deep partnerships with the leadership team, go-to-market team, and climate solution teams on legal matters.
- Roll up your sleeves to develop, implement, and maintain legal programs and procedures.
- Stay up-to-date on all things related to carbon markets.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to the company's business units on a variety of carbon markets law matters, including compliance, project development, and transactional matters.
- Support the GTM team as they work to close large-scale investments in carbon sequestration and removal projects and carbon offset purchase agreements.
Who You Are:
- You have a JD from an accredited law school and membership in good standing of the Bar Association.
- You have experience working in the climate, sustainability or energy industry.
- You have significant experience as an in-house counsel working directly with go-to-market teams.
- You have sound judgment, high integrity, and a commitment to ethical conduct.
- You have excellent analytical, written, verbal, negotiation, and interpersonal skills.
- We have a preference for a candidate based in San Francisco.
- Work with the most talented team in climate tech
- Competitive compensation and meaningful equity
- Monthly wellness stipend for mental and physical health
- Time-off as-needed vacation policy
- Generous parental leave policy
- The base salary for this role if filled within the United States starts at $190,000. Full-time employees will also be eligible for equity and insurance. Actual compensation packages are based on a wide array of factors unique to each candidate, including but not limited to demonstrated skill set, years and depth of relevant experience, location, and some role-dependent factors.
- If you are extended an offer, that offer may be contingent upon your successful completion of a background check, which will be conducted in accordance with applicable laws. We may obtain one or more background screening reports about you, solely for employment purposes.
Commitment to Diversity:
Patch is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant, candidate, or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.